Enhance Collaboration Between Educational Institutions and Employers
Enhance and expand collaboration between educational institutions and employers statewide by:
- Establishing a regional intermediary to ensure greater public-private collaboration in assessing workforce needs and communicating those needs with K-12 institutions, job training programs, and post-secondary education institutions;
- Developing a regional strategy for aligning educational programs to workforce needs that has clearly established indicators to measure progress in creating stronger regional talent development initiatives;
- Encouraging schools, especially community colleges, to utilize industry professionals as trainers to develop joint programs that educate and train area students for jobs that are available or coming in a diversity of industries (e.g., the partnership between St. Louis Community College- Florissant Valley and Boeing);
- Requiring public schools, both K-12 and post-secondary, to align instruction to college and career readiness standards that are more comprehensive; and
- Investing in public schools (including in North County), both K-12 and post-secondary, to integrate high quality career and technical education (CTE) into the curriculum in part through work-based learning through internships and other opportunities borne of strong relationships with the business community (e.g., Clyde C. Miller Academy).
Accountable Bodies: St. Louis Minority Business Council Asian American Chamber of Commerce Bosnian Regional Chamber Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis Business Community Philanthropic Community Colleges and Universities St. Louis Regional Chamber Regional Business Council St. Louis Business Diversity Initiative Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis Missouri Legislature Private Sector Trade Schools High Schools District Superintendents and Administrative Bodies St. Louis Economic Development Partnership Chambers of Commerce Local Governments Missouri Governor Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) School Districts